This recipe is basically a remake of my gluten-free universal pie dough, with buckwheat (flour and flakes) as the main ingredient. I made it with a very special co-blogger in mind and will be perfect for anyone else who like him is fond of buckwheat. To tell you the truth, I was a little hesitant to ditch my usual oats and teff flour: I was afraid the buckwheat might come out too strongly in the resulting dough. Actually, it doesn’t. As a result, I might use this recipe more often (depending on the filling of my savory pie): buckwheat is much, much cheaper than teff! Ok, call me a miserable miser if you like. But I do have a budget and it is not indefinitely stretchable…
Ingredients (for one 22 cm diameter pie)
– 30 g buckwheat flakes, and when I say “flakes” I mean the oat-like form, not like corn flakes
– 60 ml warm water (for people with sulfite sensitivity this may be a source of problem ; in which case you may have to use mineral spring water)
– 1 TBSP ground chia seeds + 2 TBSP water
– flour mix : 50 g rice flour + 35 to 40 g buckwheat flour + pinch all natural sea salt
– 2 TBSP olive oil + 1 TBSP non hydrogenated margarine / soft butter if you are not dairy intolerant.
1. Soak the flakes and ground chia in warm water.
2. Meanwhile, measure out the rice and buckwheat flours and mix.
3. Combine all the ingredients in your food processor and run or pulse until a soft ball forms. There, you are done !
Let the dough rest for a while in the fridge. After that, I usually roll it out between a sheet of parchment paper and greased plastic wrap, prick it (to prevent rising) and put it in the freezer until it gets hard.
Pre-bake, still frozen, in a 185°C / 365°F preheated oven, using fan-forced heat, for 20 minutes. I found that this dough cooked faster than my universal dough. You want to test it with a cautious finger: it should have started browning and should feel dry and cooked. Remove from oven before filling and bake for another 20 minutes, or until filling is cooked. An example of a savory pie I make: kohlrabi and carrot quiche